Written by Andrea
It seems we live in a world where negativity surrounds us. War, famine, murder, car crashes, kidnappings and the list goes on.
What about all of the good things that happen everyday? What about all the planes that don’t crash and all of the children that arrive home safely from school everyday?
Why don’t these things stay in our awareness each day?
Some experts suggest that humans seek out negative events. It’s thought that our brains evolved in a hunter-gatherer environment where anything dramatic had to be attended to immediately for survival. While we no longer have to defend ourselves against sabre tooth tigers, our brains have not caught up yet.
Other studies lead us to believe that human beings want to feel powerful, superior and in control. What better way to feel all of these things than to watch somebody slip behind. Gossiping is one strategy that people use to feel good about themselves.
Some experts suggest that positive experiences have to be held in awareness for 12 seconds in order for them to transfer from short-term to long-term memory while negative experiences automatically go into the long term memory. so, it makes more sense to decrease the amount of negativity we allow into our lives.
If we are in fact pre programmed to favour negativity, then how can we help defend ourselves against it?
- Don’ take other peoples negativity personally. Most people behave negatively, not just towards you but to everyone they interact with. What they say and do is a projection of their own reality and attitude.
- Spend more time with positive people.
- Be the positivity you want to see in the world. Lead by example.
- Change the way you think. Nobody can control the way you respond to any given situation.
- The problem isn’t always the events but the way people respond to them.
- Focus on solutions. Spend your energy on moving forward with a positive resolution.
- Realise that life is a series of ups and downs. Acknowledge the negativity, accept it and move on.
We are bombarded with other peoples drama and negativity everyday especially now as there are more channels for this drama to pass through such as the internet but we have the choice in how we respond to it.